About Us
A penny for your thoughts indeed. Around here that would be a raise.

What makes a good blog? I think thematic consistency, a little exhibitionism, and honest writing. I can promise you the last one.

Most of my posts seem to be about music or politics. Some of them are funny. But all of them would love to hear a comment from you.

Oh-- and please welcome God to the APW team. We're thrilled and humbled to serve as His earthly vessel.

My Photo
Name:
Location: NYC

I was born at a relatively young age. Growing up consumed the better part of my childhood. As a young man I chased a lot of girls. But they kept getting away. Then I got older and even slower, so I got married. I've lived in New York City almost since before I moved here. I summer in Manhattan, which is like New York City, but with more humidity.

Here's me, without baby, thinking big thoughts. (Actually, what I'm thinking is, "Hey, these aren't Pringles!") I think I look better with baby.


Email Me

Recent Posts

Archives

Site Info
Powered by:

Blogger

Designed by:

Blog Design: E.Webscpaes


Terror Alert Level

Weather Forecast | Weather Maps | Weather Radar
Thus Spake Me, December 9, 2005: Without a Song
Friday, December 09, 2005

(God's column appears in this space every Friday.)

Since my blog host and humble earthly vessel Josh so often writes about music, I thought I might share the "big picture" perspective on music for you all.

Music, as those of you who have studied formally know well, is a lot like math. Half tones, semi tones, octaves, scales; and if you've ever seen King Crimson live, you've probably counted along in your head. Music is the sound that the calculus of creation makes. Music is the thunder to life's lightning. This is why it alone among the art forms you earthlings deploy can evoke the entire range of human emotion-- joy, sorrow, wonder, terror, angst, lust, hate, love.

And those are just the human emotions. You should hear some of the music made by higher orders of species in other galaxies, ones who experience a wide range of emotions (your range is actually pretty narrow, defined by two axes: "I'm sad" to "I'm happy," and "I lack" to "I have in abundance." All your emotions may be plotted on that simple 2X2 grid.) Some of their stuff blows me away. There is this one horn player on Rigel IV who Rigelians listen to for hours on end. Imagine the Grateful Dead, but interesting.

My favorite earth band of all time is, hands down, the Beatles. Their entire oeuvre is essentially dedicated to the most Godly topic of all: they arrived singing "Love Me Do," and left singing "and in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make." (That last sentiment is profoundly divine and spot on, and betrays an insight rarely found in your species. Although that was around the time I inadvertently left all that LSD lying around. That was NOT earmarked for Earth.) In between, the Beatles told Us that "All You Need is Love," "Its Only Love," "She Loves You," "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away," "Can't Buy Me Love"-- it just goes on and on. Points awarded for thematic consistency.

Yesterday was the 25th anniversary of John Lennon's death. Even I was bummed. And I have live tapes of every Beatles show that would have happened from 1985 until 1998 (when they would have split again.) The MTV unplugged remains a would-have-been classic.

I also really dig Miles Davis. Dude could blow. He's with Me now, and he's re-invented jazz 4 more times since I've taken him.

Now, think about the Wahhabi Muslims. A sect that claims holiness for itself, yet eschews the most quintessentially holy thing on earth: music. When people decry music, you can generally assume evil is afoot.

But let's keep it light. So remember to always keep a song in your heart, and when all else fails, a whomp ba-ba-lula, a whomp bam BOOM!

Posted by: --josh-- @ 1:57 PM  


1 Comments:
At 12/11/2005 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...   

One of the funniest lines of a very funny series Buffy the Vampire Slayer, involved an alien's description of his home planet. "Dance is very popular there," he said, "But, unfortunately we haven't invented music."

I ought to send this blog entry to Unremitting Failure and the boys. Them with their noses in the air about Seals and Crofts. If all we need is love, there's no reason to put down other people's taste in music, right?


Post a Comment

<< Home

My Friend Flickr
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called layne. Make your own badge here.

Blogs

Toonz

Political Crap

Recent Tracks
Advertising

Take me back to the top!
© 2005 A Penny's Worth| Design by: E.Webscapes