About Us
A penny for your thoughts indeed. Around here that would be a raise.

What makes a good blog? I think thematic consistency, a little exhibitionism, and honest writing. I can promise you the last one.

Most of my posts seem to be about music or politics. Some of them are funny. But all of them would love to hear a comment from you.

Oh-- and please welcome God to the APW team. We're thrilled and humbled to serve as His earthly vessel.

My Photo
Name:
Location: NYC

I was born at a relatively young age. Growing up consumed the better part of my childhood. As a young man I chased a lot of girls. But they kept getting away. Then I got older and even slower, so I got married. I've lived in New York City almost since before I moved here. I summer in Manhattan, which is like New York City, but with more humidity.

Here's me, without baby, thinking big thoughts. (Actually, what I'm thinking is, "Hey, these aren't Pringles!") I think I look better with baby.


Email Me

Recent Posts

Archives

Site Info
Powered by:

Blogger

Designed by:

Blog Design: E.Webscpaes


Terror Alert Level

Weather Forecast | Weather Maps | Weather Radar
A Simple Twist of Fete
Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The latest round of inductees into the Rock’n’Roll Hall of Fame have been announced; included in the class of 2005 are Lynyrd Skynyrd, Blondie, and the Sex Pistols.

Each year when the inductees are announced, I have to wade through dozens of emails on all the music listservs I’m on about how this band or that band doesn’t belong, and why won’t they induct That Artist We All Really Like? I’ve never liked the idea of a Rock’n’Roll Hall of Fame (R’n’R HoF), and I’ve become quite sick of these annual gripefests, wherein otherwise levelheaded music fans suddenly sound like the callers on sports talk radio.

If you need any reason to mock the rock, consider that the Doors are members.

I’m having a laugh at the induction of the Sex Pistols. Personally, I never liked them and never much cared for punk rock at all (so saying “But they invented punk!” to me won’t get you too far.) But as a rock fan I understand and appreciate their place in history. And I think their induction into the R’n’R HoF can only work as a big meta-textual joke; I mean, what are they going to do, put their plaque up between the Eagles and Pink Floyd?

At the heart of what the Sex Pistols were-- and I would argue, inseparable from the music they made (which, true, I never have liked)-- was the fact that they kicked corporate rock in the ass at its most overblown and preposterous.

The R’n’R HoF is corporate rock at its most overblown and preposterous.

The Pistols do not belong in the HoF. They belong outside the hall, mocking it. Getting pissed and throwing up on it. And when I say that, it is my intent to give them their due props. If the embodiment of the Sex Pistols message was “Fuck you, Big Rock Machine!” then how do we justify “On behalf of the Big Rock Machine, you are cordially invited to fete the Sex Pistols…”

Fete??

One only hopes the band takes the opportunity to gob on the hall, right there on VH1. THAT would be a Random Note...

Labels:


Posted by: --josh-- @ 3:12 PM  


4 Comments:
At 11/29/2005 8:19 PM, Blogger Lo-Fi Propaganda said...   

I must agree with your sex pistols induction. I am a fan of the band, not because of the music, or lack of it, but of their complete submersion in what they were. They were not pretending. They were indeed the essence of new music at the time. When bands like Gary glitter and the Bay City Rollers were in full stride, the Sex Pistols came along like a flood, wiping clean the slate of rock, not with talent but with sheer anger at the establishment. They would indeed say a big fuck you to the Hall, and I hope John takes a moment to comment on the current state of music--god knows we need it.


At 11/29/2005 9:02 PM, Blogger --josh-- said...   

Thanks for the note. Dare to agree with us here at APW!


At 11/30/2005 1:24 AM, Blogger Cooper said...   

I love the sex pistol but it does seem a little contrary.


Cute baby.


At 11/30/2005 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...   

You're overlooking the POV of one important group: the people whose best friends just moved to Columbus, Ohio, and so will have to check out the RRHoF every time they're in Cleveland, which is where you have to be if you are attempting to travel from Kingston, NY to Columbus by Amtrak. It's going to be the HoF or the Jewish Museum. (HINT: I don't think Cleveland has a Jewish Museum). So I'm hoping they at least have a cool gift shop.


Post a Comment

<< Home

My Friend Flickr
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called layne. Make your own badge here.

Blogs

Toonz

Political Crap

Recent Tracks
Advertising

Take me back to the top!
© 2005 A Penny's Worth| Design by: E.Webscapes