About Us
A penny for your thoughts indeed. Around here that would be a raise.

What makes a good blog? I think thematic consistency, a little exhibitionism, and honest writing. I can promise you the last one.

Most of my posts seem to be about music or politics. Some of them are funny. But all of them would love to hear a comment from you.

Oh-- and please welcome God to the APW team. We're thrilled and humbled to serve as His earthly vessel.

My Photo
Name:
Location: NYC

I was born at a relatively young age. Growing up consumed the better part of my childhood. As a young man I chased a lot of girls. But they kept getting away. Then I got older and even slower, so I got married. I've lived in New York City almost since before I moved here. I summer in Manhattan, which is like New York City, but with more humidity.

Here's me, without baby, thinking big thoughts. (Actually, what I'm thinking is, "Hey, these aren't Pringles!") I think I look better with baby.


Email Me

Recent Posts

Archives

Site Info
Powered by:

Blogger

Designed by:

Blog Design: E.Webscpaes


Terror Alert Level

Weather Forecast | Weather Maps | Weather Radar
The Wrong Marianne
Wednesday, November 23, 2005

I mentioned that the great thing about David Bash’s International Pop Overthrow festival is that each year, I discover a great band or two that I hadn’t heard of before, and who totally rock my world. Last year it was New Jersey’s Soul Engines and Brooklyn’s Marianne Pillsburys, fronted by, uh, Marianne Pillsbury. Last night saw the return of Marianne and her Mariannes to IPO, and yes, they rocked the house.

Marianne is a sexy, bratty (in a good way) singer-songwriter who has been compared to Liz Phair, Juliana Hatfield, and our own Jill Sobule. Her sound is pop-punk, but her songs are far too clever and literate to be punk; I’d call her a Power Pop Princess with extra luster and bounce. In 20 minutes, the Pillsburys ripped the joint, with taut arrangements and crisp playing, and great songs (and it is, after all, ALL about the songs.) In addition to playing some of our faves off of The Wrong Marianne LP, the band favored us with several new songs, notably the opening “Girls Night Out,” off their Hot EP; and “Boys,” inspired by some oaf who had the temerity to reject Marianne. I mean, what the f---?


The MPs closed their set with a smoking cover of Prince’s “When U Were Mine,” stripping it down to its essence, mining the longing, sex and pop at the song’s core (especially fitting given that Marianne wrote her senior thesis on Prince.) (Man, the crap you learn on the Internet.) The 20-minute IPO set left us wanting much, much more from the Marianne Pillsburys, and we’ll have to go see them again soon. As should you.

Check out the Pillsburys’ MySpace page, where you can hear—- and download!—- all three songs off the new EP (girls, you’ll love “Girls Night Out”) as well as a live version of the old school Marianne Pillsburys classic, “Boo Hoo,” recorded live (which is the way nature intended this band to be experienced.)

It should be noted that we really liked Marianne’s shoes. Also, that she’s our secret rock crush. But ix-nay, ‘cuz that part’s a secret.

****

In other IPO news, APW played the air trumpet with Marykate O’Neill on Ringo Starr’s “Photograph.” Marykate’s new album comes out March 8, and we’ll be lining up at midnight at Tower records the night before to get our copy. She’s jazzed about it, just finished mastering, and it sounds like it will be another winner.

Labels:


Posted by: --josh-- @ 11:56 AM  


4 Comments:
At 11/23/2005 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...   

Awww thanks Josh! You're the best! And I don't just say that to everyone who has a secret rock crush on me. ;-)

xo
MP


At 11/23/2005 9:17 PM, Blogger --josh-- said...   

Awww Marianne, I'm blushing. And I'm sure you don't say that to everyone who has a rock crush on you; where would you find the time?

APW loves the Marianne Pillsburys!


At 11/28/2005 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...   

Listening to the MP's makes me feel like I am sugar coated. And not with that Splenda crap, the REAL sticky sweet stuff. Thanks for keeping me updated on good music.


At 11/28/2005 4:15 PM, Blogger --josh-- said...   

Hey Sara. Me too. I believe in a parellel universe where Marianne Pillsbury is all over the radio and Britney Spears is waiting tables at a truck stop. I NEED to believe in it.

Our pleasure to keep you up here at APW. That's why we're here. God can't get that "Boo hoo" song out of his head.


Post a Comment

<< Home

My Friend Flickr
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called layne. Make your own badge here.

Blogs

Toonz

Political Crap

Recent Tracks
Advertising

Take me back to the top!
© 2005 A Penny's Worth| Design by: E.Webscapes