About Us
A penny for your thoughts indeed. Around here that would be a raise.

What makes a good blog? I think thematic consistency, a little exhibitionism, and honest writing. I can promise you the last one.

Most of my posts seem to be about music or politics. Some of them are funny. But all of them would love to hear a comment from you.

Oh-- and please welcome God to the APW team. We're thrilled and humbled to serve as His earthly vessel.

My Photo
Name:
Location: NYC

I was born at a relatively young age. Growing up consumed the better part of my childhood. As a young man I chased a lot of girls. But they kept getting away. Then I got older and even slower, so I got married. I've lived in New York City almost since before I moved here. I summer in Manhattan, which is like New York City, but with more humidity.

Here's me, without baby, thinking big thoughts. (Actually, what I'm thinking is, "Hey, these aren't Pringles!") I think I look better with baby.


Email Me

Recent Posts

Archives

Site Info
Powered by:

Blogger

Designed by:

Blog Design: E.Webscpaes


Terror Alert Level

Weather Forecast | Weather Maps | Weather Radar
On the Street Where You Live
Thursday, August 17, 2006

This week the new season of Sesame Street premieres. On Tuesday, I mentioned in the comments to this post that this year there was a new muppet character, Abby Cadabby. Abby is geting the big marketing push; apparently it dawned on the tree-hugging PC crowd at CTW that no female muppet had ever broken big from Sesame Street (yes, I know, Miss Piggy; but she was from the Muppet Show, not from the Street.) So this floppy, cuddly little magical muppet is getting the Elmo-money push. Presumably you'll want one-- or more-- Abby Cadabby dolls for Christmas. I can't seem to find any on sale yet, but yeah, we'll be buying 7 or 8 mint dolls as soon as they're out, and keeping them boxed and in storage. (What kind of idiots would let their kids play with the retirement nest egg?)

But that Elmo-money push is, as we at APW suspected, causing a problem on the Street. Elmo, it seems, is pissed. "Elmo just wants what's best for Elmo," he told TV Guide, "Elmo is the straw that stirs the drink. Abby thinks Abby is the wand that stirs the drink, but Elmo is the main stirring thingie in this drink. If you don't believe Elmo, Elmo will ask a baby." We've already mentioned Elmo's on-air tirade during Monday's episode of That's Elmo's World (in the above-linked-to comment.) Yesterday, Elmo didn't even show up; Cookie Monster was pushed out in front of the cameras at the last minute to fill in, struggling through what became "That's Cookie's World." ("Baby, how YOU like cookie? Wait-- Why I ask baby? Baby has no TEETH!")

There have been rumors circulating that Elmo plans to bail out of Sesame Street when his contract expires at the end of the year and jump to satellite radio. "Sure, Mel Karmazin would love to have a personality like Elmo on Sirius," said Mel Karmazin yesterday. "But as far as Mel Karmazin knows, he's still under contract."

Personally, I don't care for the Abby Cadabby character. I think she needs a better shtick. I prefer my muppets to have that adult, NYC cab driver sensibility-- like Ernie, like Oscar, like Snuffy, like Baby Bear. I like to imagine, maybe, that Judd Hirsh could play the character. But with all these baby muppets-- like Elmo,. like Zoe, and now like Abby-- its hard to see how the show can appeal to anyone over the age of nine.

The highlight of Monday's show, of course, was the spot-on spoof of Law & Order-- "Law & Order: Special Letters Unit." But don't take my word; click that link and enjoy.

Posted by: --josh-- @ 10:58 AM  


2 Comments:
At 8/17/2006 1:34 PM, Blogger RoxiticusDH said...   

Ha! Elmo wants what's best for Elmo! I had to teach my youngest "Reggie Jackson wants what's best for Reggie Jackson" when she started referring to herself in the third person.

Maybe we could arrange an all-ages-encompassing merger/spinoff... Sesame Street meets Desperate Housewives! It would teach some excellent life lessons, like the amazing DH episode in which Lynette saved me the trouble of having to have the chat with my girls about the birds and the bees...girls, pay attention to Lynette and never give it up for a cookie.


At 8/17/2006 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...   

Won't let his kid play with a doll. Won't lend out his books. There's a trend here.


Post a Comment

<< Home

My Friend Flickr
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called layne. Make your own badge here.

Blogs

Toonz

Political Crap

Recent Tracks
Advertising

Take me back to the top!
© 2005 A Penny's Worth| Design by: E.Webscapes