About Us
A penny for your thoughts indeed. Around here that would be a raise.

What makes a good blog? I think thematic consistency, a little exhibitionism, and honest writing. I can promise you the last one.

Most of my posts seem to be about music or politics. Some of them are funny. But all of them would love to hear a comment from you.

Oh-- and please welcome God to the APW team. We're thrilled and humbled to serve as His earthly vessel.

My Photo
Name:
Location: NYC

I was born at a relatively young age. Growing up consumed the better part of my childhood. As a young man I chased a lot of girls. But they kept getting away. Then I got older and even slower, so I got married. I've lived in New York City almost since before I moved here. I summer in Manhattan, which is like New York City, but with more humidity.

Here's me, without baby, thinking big thoughts. (Actually, what I'm thinking is, "Hey, these aren't Pringles!") I think I look better with baby.


Email Me

Recent Posts

Archives

Site Info
Powered by:

Blogger

Designed by:

Blog Design: E.Webscpaes


Terror Alert Level

Weather Forecast | Weather Maps | Weather Radar
Like Shooting Quail in a Barrel
Wednesday, February 15, 2006
Making fun of Dick Cheney is too easy right now, so I will resist the urge. I watched CNN yesterday and the question they wanted to ask was, “Has the Vice President become a liability to the administration?” I think the answer is, no, but he has become an invaluable asset to the nation’s comedians and late night talk show hosts.

Indeed, this shooting snafu is so redolent of comedy on its own that, as Annie rightly notes, there is no point in the professional joke-meisters milking it. That is why John Stewart and the Daily Show have been, hands down, the funniest ones on this topic. For two nights in a row, they have mined the comedy not by making jokes, but rather by basking in the inherent humor. Last night Stewart showed a clip of a reporter asking Scott McClellan, “When did the president know Cheney was the shooter?” and then, instead of a wise crack, Stewart just took out a tea set and enjoyed a quiet moment, letting the humor in the question ferment on its own. Like Miles Davis, who let the spaces between the notes be as much a part of the music as the notes themselves, Stewart was almost Zen-like in letting less be more. He even opened the show by noting that with Harry Wittington having suffered a heart attack, the story had to be downgraded from “hilarious” to, “Still funny, but, mmm, maybe a little sad.”

But don’t take my word for it. Yesterday’s show isn’t up yet, but go here and scroll down to the thumbnails in the middle of the page representing video segments. Then click on “#2 With a Bullet,” and watch the clip from Monday’s show.

Labels:


Posted by: --josh-- @ 8:57 AM  


0 Comments:
My Friend Flickr
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called layne. Make your own badge here.

Blogs

Toonz

Political Crap

Recent Tracks
Advertising

Take me back to the top!
© 2005 A Penny's Worth| Design by: E.Webscapes