About Us
A penny for your thoughts indeed. Around here that would be a raise.

What makes a good blog? I think thematic consistency, a little exhibitionism, and honest writing. I can promise you the last one.

Most of my posts seem to be about music or politics. Some of them are funny. But all of them would love to hear a comment from you.

Oh-- and please welcome God to the APW team. We're thrilled and humbled to serve as His earthly vessel.

My Photo
Name:
Location: NYC

I was born at a relatively young age. Growing up consumed the better part of my childhood. As a young man I chased a lot of girls. But they kept getting away. Then I got older and even slower, so I got married. I've lived in New York City almost since before I moved here. I summer in Manhattan, which is like New York City, but with more humidity.

Here's me, without baby, thinking big thoughts. (Actually, what I'm thinking is, "Hey, these aren't Pringles!") I think I look better with baby.


Email Me

Recent Posts

Archives

Site Info
Powered by:

Blogger

Designed by:

Blog Design: E.Webscpaes


Terror Alert Level

Weather Forecast | Weather Maps | Weather Radar
That Was the Week That Whizzed
Thursday, January 26, 2006
I wanted to write something about the state of the political world this week, and I kept looking for a hook, but none came to me. Not because there was nothing to sink one's teeth into; quite the contrary. Because there is so much crap swirling around that it becomes impossible to pluck just one thing, or to get one's hands around the zeitgeist of the whole thing.

You have Alito. Apparently a good and qualified judge, but with personal views on reproductive rights and civil liberties that are distasteful to the left. One wonders why the right is so ideologically jazzed about the guy; surely he'll put his politics aside and vote based on a strict constructionalist view of the law, right? I mean, otherwise he'd be an activist judge, which is very, very bad. So why is the right so energized if he isn't going to be an activist judge? I don't suppose judicial activism is OK when the judge is on your side of the issue... And then, the Dems. There's such a thing as choosing your battles. Why go to the mat on Alito, when the guy is a shoe-in to get senate approval (he needs 51 votes, and he'll get at least 55)? Doesn't that put the Dems in a position of having only one possible outcome, which is losing? Or have we gotten to the point where that's the only outcome in their sights anymore...

And the wire taps. Oh wait, forgive me, "terrorist surveilance." You gotta love the Bush administration's post-Orwellian use of language; remember "Mission Accomplished"? The "Clear Skies Act"? Hell, how about the Granddaddy of them all, the "Patriot Act"? (If you don't want the government encroaching your civil liberties, obvviously you aren't a patriot.) I truly believe that when Jenna was little and Dubya wanted to put her to bed, he would launch Operation Stay Up All Night and Eat Fudge. Even some Republicans are leery about the president having the NSA tap the phones of US citizens without a FISA hearing. Instead of explaining why they couldn't simply go get the court order, Bush and his minions just keep saying, essentially, "Y'all don't understand. These here are terrorists!"

Me, I like to think the law is the law, even in times of war (and oh yeah, we aren't at war.) And if you're wondering if the surveillances really are illegal, I invite you to read the actual law, right over here. Seriously, go ahead. I'll wait...

So as you can see, we have a president breaking the law... and stumping to justify it! I mean, we didn't even acknowledge the existence of the NSA until, like, 10 years ago, and this week Bush was at the NSA doing a photo Op! A photo Op at the NSA! Could he be any more brazen, arrogant, and transparent? I don't know what's worse-- the gall these people have, or the low esteem they continually exhibit toward the American public (apparently we'll swallow anything.)

And speaking of swallowing anything, I for one long for the days of Bill Clinton, when at least the president was ashamed of being caught in a lie. These days, the president lies to your face, and if you call him on it, you're helping the terrorists win.

And then there's Jack Abramoff. A whole lot of Republicans seem to have had their hands in his dirty little pockets (notably including Tom "You can tell what a sleazeball I am with one look" Delay.) And now he's singing like a canary. White House says Bush doesn't know the guy, never met him. Then photos surface of Bush with Abramoff. Sure, the president gets his photo taken with a lot of people. But when Bush abruptly declares that the photos of him with the corrupt moneyman are "not relevant," it sounds a lot like a plea to pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

In other news, the Pentagon says we may not have enough troops for Iraq and Afghanistan; Iran continues to develop nuclear weapons; Bin Laden warns of more US attacks; Bush continues to tout a "guest worker" policy in the face of flood of illegal immigration (apparently wide open borders pose no threat to national security, and if you say different the terrorists win); Hamas takes control of the so-called Palestinian State; Kim Jong Il is still armed and dangerous. Good thing the administration has everything under control.

And with all this going on just in one week, you'd think the Dems would score a point or two. But of course you would be wrong. Because apparently the only guy in the party with any stones is Hillary Clinton, and that's just sad.

I apologize to you if you've read this far, but I feel... a... little... bit... better.

Labels:


Posted by: --josh-- @ 2:27 PM  


3 Comments:
At 1/26/2006 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...   

Glad you feel better;I feel so sad for our country;-)

Thanks for the lyrics. duh. Kept on looking them up as "Question?..." No excuse for that. Also couldn't remember any lyric


At 1/27/2006 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...   

1) The Republicans ideologically jazzed? No, just a sugar high (see fudge).

2) I keep wondering what W. and Alito were doing in those pictures. Something like my memory stick?

3)Which I received, and thanks.


At 1/28/2006 1:27 AM, Blogger --josh-- said...   

Annie:

I don't wanna know. (about your stick.)


Post a Comment

<< Home

My Friend Flickr
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called layne. Make your own badge here.

Blogs

Toonz

Political Crap

Recent Tracks
Advertising

Take me back to the top!
© 2005 A Penny's Worth| Design by: E.Webscapes