About Us
A penny for your thoughts indeed. Around here that would be a raise.

What makes a good blog? I think thematic consistency, a little exhibitionism, and honest writing. I can promise you the last one.

Most of my posts seem to be about music or politics. Some of them are funny. But all of them would love to hear a comment from you.

Oh-- and please welcome God to the APW team. We're thrilled and humbled to serve as His earthly vessel.

My Photo
Name:
Location: NYC

I was born at a relatively young age. Growing up consumed the better part of my childhood. As a young man I chased a lot of girls. But they kept getting away. Then I got older and even slower, so I got married. I've lived in New York City almost since before I moved here. I summer in Manhattan, which is like New York City, but with more humidity.

Here's me, without baby, thinking big thoughts. (Actually, what I'm thinking is, "Hey, these aren't Pringles!") I think I look better with baby.


Email Me

Recent Posts

Archives

Site Info
Powered by:

Blogger

Designed by:

Blog Design: E.Webscpaes


Terror Alert Level

Weather Forecast | Weather Maps | Weather Radar
Why Are There Ads on APW?
Friday, February 24, 2006
We're often asked why APW features Google ads (down a ways in the right hand sidebar.) Do we think we're going to get rich? Become the King of All Media? Launch an advertising juggernaut?

For the record, and in order: no, I still hold out hope, and of course not.

It all started when I read my Bestest Pal's blog (sadly, she's given up blogging; apparently she thinks her husband, two adorable kids, and actual real life are more worthy of her time than the lot of us out here are. Harrumph.) I noticed that when I clicked on a specific post, the Google ads eerily matched the post's content. So I'd click on her "The heirloom tomatoes are here" post, and sure enough, the ads were about tomato products. Uncanny! A little scary! And oddly compelling!

So it became sort of a game, and I had to have ads on my blog so I could see what Google came up with to go with my posts. And sure enough, concert ticket ads on the music posts, "Meet Democratic Singles" ads on the political stuff. And the ads on God's posts are a hoot and a holler.

Also, my profession is advertising and marketing, and I feel an obligation to the biz to have ads here. And too, the more I see what Google serves up in the Adsense space on the blog, the more I learn about how online advertising works. And the more I feel like, in some small way, I'm a part of the exciting, fast paced world of Internet Marketing!

But mostly, I want to meet Democratic singles.

Posted by: --josh-- @ 9:56 AM  


4 Comments:
At 2/24/2006 5:46 PM, Blogger --josh-- said...   

Yes, the idea is that you make money from advertising, presumably on a "pay-per-click" model where every clockthrough from APW earns me a precious fraction of a penny. I don't actually know how to collect all this money. I may be in double digits already (which is to say, over a dime.)


At 2/25/2006 12:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...   

Actually, Josh, you've probably made a few dollars here, and we could explain to you how to get it. But not after that "tabloid" crack.


At 2/25/2006 9:51 AM, Blogger --josh-- said...   

I don't actually want the money; I prefer this sense of feeling like I'm making it impossible for Google to balance their check book.


At 2/25/2006 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...   

You old financial anarchist, you.


Post a Comment

<< Home

My Friend Flickr
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called layne. Make your own badge here.

Blogs

Toonz

Political Crap

Recent Tracks
Advertising

Take me back to the top!
© 2005 A Penny's Worth| Design by: E.Webscapes