About Us
A penny for your thoughts indeed. Around here that would be a raise.

What makes a good blog? I think thematic consistency, a little exhibitionism, and honest writing. I can promise you the last one.

Most of my posts seem to be about music or politics. Some of them are funny. But all of them would love to hear a comment from you.

Oh-- and please welcome God to the APW team. We're thrilled and humbled to serve as His earthly vessel.

My Photo
Name:
Location: NYC

I was born at a relatively young age. Growing up consumed the better part of my childhood. As a young man I chased a lot of girls. But they kept getting away. Then I got older and even slower, so I got married. I've lived in New York City almost since before I moved here. I summer in Manhattan, which is like New York City, but with more humidity.

Here's me, without baby, thinking big thoughts. (Actually, what I'm thinking is, "Hey, these aren't Pringles!") I think I look better with baby.


Email Me

Recent Posts

Archives

Site Info
Powered by:

Blogger

Designed by:

Blog Design: E.Webscpaes


Terror Alert Level

Weather Forecast | Weather Maps | Weather Radar
Cover Boy
Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I want to apologize to my regular readers (and you know who you are, God love you, all 9 of you) for such sparse postings these days. Turns out that the whole "having a job" thing has proved to be more demanding than expected; when you have a job the hours, as I think I've mentioned, are murder, what with the showing up and all...

Anyway, I was in London recently (for said job) and I grabbed a copy of Uncut magazine. Not that earth shattering, I usually buy it in the states as well, but since its a British magazine, in London I got to buy it during the actual month it was out. The cover story featured one of my all time favorite bands, the Faces, who-- contrary to popular opinion at the time-- were not Rod Stewart's backing band in the early 70s but rather a very rockin', hell-bent Stonesy band he happened to be in. Anyway, the freebie CD inside Uncut featured music in the spirit of the Faces, including a cover version of a very pretty, wistful Faces song originally penned and sung by bass player Ronnie Lane (you might remember him as the guy Pete Townsend made this record with, or else as the beneficiary of the early '80s A.R.M.S. concerts.)

Anyway, that cover version was done by one of my favorites, Jim Boggia. In addition to making great records and having terrific pop sensibility, I am convinced that Boggia has the same record collection as me; his sundry classic covers always manage to mine the essence of some long ago (by which I mean, the pre-disco '70s) time. Check out what he does with Lane's "Debris;" this is the most loving cover I've heard in days. He catches the loose feel of records of the era, as well as Ronnie Wood's clear cutting tones on guitar, and his lead vocal is himself yet wholly evocative of Lane while he does an admirable job of sounding like Stewart on backing "vox," as we "musos" say.

I know, if this is so good, why not just listen to the original? And Boggia (who I've met more than once and even performed with; no joke) and I both heartily urge you to do just that. All the Faces albums are in print on CD.

While we're on the subject of Jim Boggia and insanely spot-on 70s covers, check this one out: Queen's "Somebody to Love." One guy.

Labels: ,


Posted by: --josh-- @ 12:39 PM  


3 Comments:
At 3/18/2008 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...   

Hey, Best....glad to see you're back. It was hard for me to believe you had nothing to say about the dirty governors, but I know how that whole job thing can get in the way.

Bree, on the other hand, has been blogging and clipping coupons while Roxiticus (or at least the economy) burns: http://roxiticusdh.blogspot.com.


At 3/22/2008 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...   

BP! I told a JOKE on my blog (Roxiticus Desperate Housewives)today!

I see that you've been visiting, trying to catch up on hundreds of posts, starting with the political (and I must use that term loosely as it relates to my blog and, of course as it relates to the morals of politicians of all persuasions).

Anyway, I told a joke that you told me years ago and it made me think of that bar and those boys and that beer.


At 3/24/2008 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...   

Hey Best! You're becoming one of my best commentators...did you notice that Johnny Wadd also visited (the hooker oyster post)?

Remember the time you said you'd send me $5.00 through PayPal...instead, could you just blog about my blog, including a text link to Roxiticus Desperate Housewives?

P.S. -- Today's secret word is "rumhwnnw," which, as Lil Bestest could tell you, is the sound Winnie the Pooh's tummy makes when he's in need of honey.


Post a Comment

<< Home

My Friend Flickr
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called layne. Make your own badge here.

Blogs

Toonz

Political Crap

Recent Tracks
Advertising

Take me back to the top!
© 2005 A Penny's Worth| Design by: E.Webscapes