About Us
A penny for your thoughts indeed. Around here that would be a raise.

What makes a good blog? I think thematic consistency, a little exhibitionism, and honest writing. I can promise you the last one.

Most of my posts seem to be about music or politics. Some of them are funny. But all of them would love to hear a comment from you.

Oh-- and please welcome God to the APW team. We're thrilled and humbled to serve as His earthly vessel.

My Photo
Name:
Location: NYC

I was born at a relatively young age. Growing up consumed the better part of my childhood. As a young man I chased a lot of girls. But they kept getting away. Then I got older and even slower, so I got married. I've lived in New York City almost since before I moved here. I summer in Manhattan, which is like New York City, but with more humidity.

Here's me, without baby, thinking big thoughts. (Actually, what I'm thinking is, "Hey, these aren't Pringles!") I think I look better with baby.


Email Me

Recent Posts

Archives

Site Info
Powered by:

Blogger

Designed by:

Blog Design: E.Webscpaes


Terror Alert Level

Weather Forecast | Weather Maps | Weather Radar
Are You There Margaret? It’s Me, God
Friday, November 04, 2005

Hey, APW readers. God here. First off, I want to say how thrilled I am to be doing a semi-regular column here at APW. I’d like to write once a week, but my schedule is very hectic. Next week there is a solar system near the lip of the galaxy I need to obliterate, and there’s one scary-ass tsunami booked for Rigel IV. But whenever I can get away, I will. I’ve got wireless broadband, everywhere.

I thought I’d start off here by telling you a little about Myself. First off, I’m spiritual, but I’m really not religious.

Now, I know that will rankle some. So let me explain.

Of course I am spiritual. I mean, I am the great Holy Spirit That inhabits all things. That is about as spiritual as you can get. So why do I say I am not religious? Well, what I mean is, I don’t practice one specific religion. Most all of them are good. See, it doesn’t matter if you are Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Pagan, Buddhist, whatever. It’s all Me. I am the Great Spirit; I am the Eye in the Sky; I am Allah; I am Yahweh; I am Vishnu; I am Ganesh. I’ve got a lot of different tellers, but it’s all the Same Big Bank, if you see what I mean.

Which is why I don’t understand this “My God is bigger than your God” thing. Why fight over God, when its all Me? I’m talking about the Wahhabi Muslim, who thinks anyone who doesn’t worship Me in their fashion is an infidel and fair game for killing. I had nothing to do with 9/11 (although you gotta love my firemen, no?) And there aren't 72 virgins waiting for you in heaven; that isn't heaven, its Larry Flynt's house. All you get up here is a cloud, a robe, a harp, and all you can eat shrimp.

I’m also talking about the fundamentalist Christian who warns you that the Rapture is coming and you will go to hell if you don’t worship as he does and share his political agenda. Look, there is no Rapture, this is all a misunderstanding owing to some faulty interpretation of Revelations, which is otherwise one heck of a page turner. No mortal can tell you you are going to hell; that is my job, and mine alone. Some of these holier-than-thou fellas are actually in for a rude awakening come judgment day, wink wink.

No one who speaks for me claims to speak for me. That’s the deal I have with my earthly messengers. So anyone who presumes to talk to you on behalf of God is lying to you. If you aren’t sure about someone, or if you think you might be in danger of going to hell, don’t listen to anybody else. Talk directly to Me. I’m open 24/7, and I’m in the book.

Politically, I’m a flaming liberal. I’m far more left-leaning than the folks here at APW; they are socially liberal but fiscally conservative. Me, I’m a lefty from the old school. I’m all about tax and spend. It’s My way. And let Me be clear about gay marriage: if I didn’t want gay people getting married, I wouldn’t have made so many of them, would I? Hello, I'm not stupid!

My Son— now, He’s the original bleeding heart. Him, always with the “feed the hungry, clothe the naked, heal the lepers, make love not war.” And the long hair; He was a bit of a Hippie. In fact, let me tell you how you’ll know He’s about to return. None of that “mark of the beast” nonsense; as I say, Revelations was about the Romans being driven from Israel, and that happened a long time ago. No, here's how you’ll know He’s returning: Phish will reform. Boy, did he like Phish (he even co-opted a fish logo.) Me, I was never a fan. But the Boy loves them.

Personally I like the Stones. Well, let’s call it a grudging respect. I’ve been trying to kill Keith Richards since Exile On Main Street, but dude’s like a frigging cockroach. Nothing kills him. Oh well. At least I take solace in finding him that barber.

Anyway, enough about Me for now. What do you think of Me? Post your questions in the comments section, and in coming weeks I will try and get to them all.

*********

Oh, and memo to Madonna: that isn’t Kabala, you twit. That’s new age wrapped in a Jewish taco shell. What do you think, great learned Jews have been wearing red bands on their wrists since… oh, 2002? Pass me the Kabala water. Yeah, right…

Posted by: --josh-- @ 10:25 AM  


4 Comments:
At 11/04/2005 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...   

So God let me ask the big one: what happens after death?

Figure I would get that one out of the way


At 11/04/2005 12:40 PM, Blogger --josh-- said...   

EXCELLENT question Pia! I'll get to that next time. But it will be a major "spoiler alert."


At 11/05/2005 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...   

God, what happens when Kosher people go to heaven? Do they have all you can eat hummus? Or do they have to eat those dyed-pink fake shrimp made from "sea legs"? What if you have a shellfish allergy? And, since even people who get married in Flushing, Queens have a smoked fish station at the cocktail hour, couldn't you do something like that? Thanks, ANNIE


At 11/05/2005 11:14 PM, Blogger --josh-- said...   

Annie:

You don't have to keep kosher anymore in heaven; you've made it! You can also sass your mama if you like. And there are no allergies.

There is smoled fish, and a whole lot more. Sushi for example. But that's a la carte. Everyone gets the shrimp.


Post a Comment

<< Home

My Friend Flickr
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called layne. Make your own badge here.

Blogs

Toonz

Political Crap

Recent Tracks
Advertising

Take me back to the top!
© 2005 A Penny's Worth| Design by: E.Webscapes