About Us
A penny for your thoughts indeed. Around here that would be a raise.

What makes a good blog? I think thematic consistency, a little exhibitionism, and honest writing. I can promise you the last one.

Most of my posts seem to be about music or politics. Some of them are funny. But all of them would love to hear a comment from you.

Oh-- and please welcome God to the APW team. We're thrilled and humbled to serve as His earthly vessel.

My Photo
Name:
Location: NYC

I was born at a relatively young age. Growing up consumed the better part of my childhood. As a young man I chased a lot of girls. But they kept getting away. Then I got older and even slower, so I got married. I've lived in New York City almost since before I moved here. I summer in Manhattan, which is like New York City, but with more humidity.

Here's me, without baby, thinking big thoughts. (Actually, what I'm thinking is, "Hey, these aren't Pringles!") I think I look better with baby.


Email Me

Recent Posts

Archives

Site Info
Powered by:

Blogger

Designed by:

Blog Design: E.Webscpaes


Terror Alert Level

Weather Forecast | Weather Maps | Weather Radar
It Won't All Be This Heavy
Sunday, July 11, 2004
By the way, it won't all be politics. A lot will be whimsy, and a wicked lot will be music.

In the latter department, let me recommend 6 recent CDs:

Tan Sleeve, Bad From Both Sides: My friend Lane's band. Great, classic power pop in the mode of Beatles, Bachrach, Big Star, Beach Boys, with bite. Buy it at www.notlame.com.

Chris Stamey, Travels in the South: Stylistically, not entirely unlike the Tan Sleeve. Stamey was a founding member of seminal power popsters the dBs, and any time he puts one out, its cause for celebration. This album sounds like a Chris Stamey record. That alone puts it in my top-10 for the year.

BoDeans, Resolution: I thought their last one was a tad weak, but this is a return to form with all the heartland heart these guys bring to the table.

Todd Rundgren, Liars: The whole album-- as synthetic as any I've ever heard-- is a lie. And that makes it great. Thematically about the lies we live with, no one plays the technology like Todd, and this one, no question, is his best in years. 75 minutes, and a hell of a piece of work; you have to keep playing it to get it all, and that is usually the hallmark of a great record.

Derek Trucks Band, Live From the Georgia Theater: Derek is one of the most astounding players around, and this tour de force band record shows why. Last year's Soul Serenade was something as well. You can, I believe, get it through his or Sony's website, and at the Apple store. Derek brings blues, jazz, world music, rock, soul, and funk into one unique blend, and then low-key plays the hell out of it. Currently on tour with his other gig, the Allman Brothers.

Jill Sobule, Underdog Victorious: Not out yet, due from Artemis in September. The single, "Cinnamon Park," is impossible not to love, so pick it up, and then the album, when they're out. Of course, she's also impossible not to love, especially live. This week she played the Living Room in NYC, and I actually joined her onstage for Cinnamon Park, accompanying on pretend trumpet (long story). A singer/songwriter who can sing, play a mean guitar, and whose work is consistently laced with heart, humor, brains, and honesty.

Labels:


Posted by: --josh-- @ 11:29 PM  


0 Comments:
My Friend Flickr
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called layne. Make your own badge here.

Blogs

Toonz

Political Crap

Recent Tracks
Advertising

Take me back to the top!
© 2005 A Penny's Worth| Design by: E.Webscapes